Thursday, December 3, 2009

Response Question- SECTION 3- pages 99-139

The summer program the boys attend before their freshmen year at Seton Hall is quite rigorous. Describe how the program is demanding. Do you think you would have been able to survive?

48 comments:

  1. the summer program seems to be hard, harder than how being a sophomore in high school is. it's like boot camp where you have to study everyday, for long hours and being told how long to study and when to sleep. i wouldn't have survived because i hate studying and would've given up easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The summer program the boys attended was hard problly harder than a usuall summer program. Some of the rules there are too harsh for me because you have to be in bed by like ten and I'm not use to that. Also, in the summer program you have alot of work and I think if you have alot of work it just gets you stressed out. No, I would have not been able to go to the summer prorgam at Seaton Hall because I think it is to demanding

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jahmarley Samuels 10BDecember 30, 2009 at 3:46 PM

    That program would have to be one of the worse I've heard of. Long studying,going to bed at the same time as everyone else, and my least favorite the work! Personally I rather pick weeds out all summer than do that program. So pretty much I could never survive in that Summer program.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The summer program at Seton Hall seems very rigorous. They would have to get up like we do at 7 A.M. and class would start at 8. Unlike us, they get out at 5 and us at around 3. We only need to go to tutoring when needed, but they have to attend tutoring every day after school. You have to study until 9 P.M., 10 o’clock is bedtime, and they also supervise you doing everything they ask. I think I have least amount of chance of surviving because I think I might go crazy studying more than 3 days straight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The summer program they attended before their freshman year was probably demanding to them because they were not use to studying long hours of the night, or a controlled environment. I think I would be able to survive it because I would be determined to follow through with my committment. The more demanding something is to me the more determine I will become to complete it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The summer program they have attended before their freshman year was hard and they probably were frustrated. The reason I say that the summer program was hard because they were told when and how long to study. They couldn't stay up like they were use to doing, they were told when to go to bed. I think that I could survive it because i like to take a challenge, but then again I think that I couldn't survive it because that program is very controlled and I think that I couldn't really handle that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The program that the boys attended was really strict. They had to go to sleep at ten. They had to start at eight and finish at five. They also had to attend tutoring after they were done. They also had to study until nine. I think I wouldn't be able to survive. First of all, i will not be able to stay studying all day. I can't be able to go to sleep at ten.

    ReplyDelete
  8. dominique camacho 10BJanuary 5, 2010 at 9:00 AM

    I think that the summer program that the boys attended was hard nd most of all pointless. I say this because the bed times they were givin made me think that they were in 6th grade again nd all the studing that they had to do was outtragoious. They did so much studin that it would make me forget what i was tring to remember. I cant say that i would survive but I think I would be able to take it for only so long.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The summer program was very strict. You basically had to do as they say like studying for long hours. They also had a curfew and for them it was very differnt then what their use to.Even thogh i know in the long run it's actualy going to help you but i would not be able to surive this because it's to much work and i would become bored which would cause me not to do the work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's like a strict program where you have to study everyday for long hours. You had a curfew and it was very different from what the boys were used to. They were given a bed time. The boys basically had to comply with these orders. I wouldn't be able to deal with this at all. I do things at my own pace and I just wouldn't be able to comply with all these rules.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alana Levonchuck 10DJanuary 5, 2010 at 7:23 PM

    The program was very strict and took up most of the boys time. They had to dedicate themselves and work extra hard between classes, long studing hours, a certain bedtime. They also could not get into any trouble with the law outside of the program because if they did they coud have been kicked out. yes i do think i wuld have been able to survive the program because i work hard and if its what i no i wanted i would stick with it no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tyrone Cleveland 10DJanuary 5, 2010 at 7:34 PM

    The summer program was very strict. They had to do long hours of studying everyday. They were also given a bed time in which they had to comply. This was an extremely hard program to be involved in and I don't think I would have survived. Though it could help me out a lot in the future I'd be spending my summer doing something that I hate doing, studying.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The summer program at Seton Hall is tough but in reality is just the norm of a college life. The program is very demanding in terms of what they expect from individuals academically, as well as their independence how well they can rely on themselves to get what they need to do done. I think I would be able to do this because I know it would be hard but I would come to the conclusion with myself that I'd have to get used to that kind of lifestyle because in order to have a successful college career I'd have to be able to be able to follow these procedures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The ways the summer program was demanding are shown in several ways. One way is that the students have to wake up at 7 and have breakfast at a certain time, which is 8 A.M. Another reason it is demanding is that you have no time to yourself because after class ends at 5 P.M they had to go to a 1-hour tutoring session, after that, you have to go to dinner. Once dinner was finished, everyone would have to go back to their rooms to study until 9 P.M. A final way that the program is demanding is that there is a bed-time for them even in college, that time is 10 P.M. In a program like that, I would be forced to strive but it'll teach me how to work even harder for what I want to be in the future. I would also survive because if someone like Carla Dickison was there to continuously encourage us to keep trying, I would not let that person's effort down.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Caroleena Albaroki 10EJanuary 6, 2010 at 2:30 PM

    The program at Seton Hall was hard. It was very commanding. As they explain in the book, they were treating them like babies by telling them when to sleep and study and everything else. I might be able to survive that, yes. This is because I like someone to remind me to keep in track of my studying, but I wouldn't survive for sure because I don't like to study all the time and especially during the summer. During college you expect yourself to be an adult and take care of yourself but not in this program.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This program was very challenging I think. It challenges your brain and thats a reason I dont think that I would survive because I hate challenging my brain.Another thing is you can't cheat or skip homework.One thing that I like is that they had tutoring sessions with more than one tutor.But I dont think I would have survived.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree that the Seton Hall is very rigorous. For example, you must be at bed at a certain time, study alot, and stay focus and dedicated. I think I could survive such a program. Sure, sometimes I would get tired and want to give up, but then I would think. I would think how all of this toil and work would considerably pay off if I just persevere. Besides, the people at Seton Hall just want the students to be responsible and there's nothing wrong with that. When times get hard, I would think about how leading a nice life takes hard work, and determination. As a black kid, I have a responsibilty to my race to do good and suceed in life, and ultimately, that's what would motivate me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The summer program is very rigorous because you have to work long hours and you only get breaks to eat.Then you have hours that you study and you go to sleep.You have no free time.You have to be in bed by ten.They consider it more like a boot camp.I would'nt be able to survive a camp like this because doing work all day would probably get really annoying after a while and then you dont have any free time and you have to be in bed by ten which i would'nt be used to.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree that Seton Hall is very demanding. For example, the students had to be up and eat breakfast by a certain time. Another example is that they had to study, they had to keep their dorm room doors open while they studied so that the counselors could see if they were fooling around. This school may be demanding and challenging, but these are the type of things that you need in order to be ready for college. This program is a good program though because it gave the students a little taste of how college was going to be.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Although it's a good program I wouldn't have been able to survive, because after a while I would Probably become very tired and frustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Seton Hall is a rigorous place because it has many curriculums that many other school have not learn at that time. You have to study a lot and have grades. At times in the book they say that while at Seton Hall they had to study for many hours with their doors open. I would probably survive for the first couple weeks before I start failing because it is hard. I would have the courage to take the risk and try it but I would have no intention to complete it due to me being lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The program was very structured. They were told when to get up and go to sleep, and when to study and for how long. But, they made it through because they had the support and positive peer pressure from each other. I think that I would have been able to survive if I had friends helping me stay on track along the way like they did.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Michael Conches 10BJanuary 6, 2010 at 6:37 PM

    The summer program the boy's attended seemed pretty hard because they discribed it as like a boot camp, that they need to have more discipline,needed to work hard, and had to put alot of effort. I do not think i would beable to survive in a summer program like that.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Katelyn Mascuilli 10EJanuary 6, 2010 at 7:49 PM

    The summer program that the boys attended was very strict and demanding. Classes began at 8AM and ended at 5PM. They took a dinner break at 6PM and studied from then until 9PM. Counselors walked the halls to make sure everyone was studying. They weren't allowed to watch t.v while studying. Their bedtime was 10PM. I think that this summer program sounds like a boot camp. Everything has a specific time. The students were kind of treated like children They had to work very hard.. I don't think I would be able to survive this summer program because sometimes I can be lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The program was so demanding that, as Rameck said, "The program was more like boot camp, requiring discipline, hard work, and effort than I had ever given anything before." First off, everyone would be awake by seven A.M. for breakfast and soon after, headed for classes starting at eight A.M. Secondly, they'd have classes until five P.M., and everyone that was in their program, had mandatory tutoring. Everyday after their classes had ended at five P.M., they would take hour-long tutoring sessions followed by dinner at six P.M. After dinner, they're required to head back and remain in their dorms, studying, until nine P.M. Finally, they all had a bedtime of ten P.M. That was how "rigorous" their program was. Next off, I think I'd be able to survive the program. Challenges are a good thing, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  26. That summer at Seton Hall for the guy was oh so intense. They would all hhave to buckle down some how. this program required much discipline to be shown and to get through they would have to put in hard work and lots of effort and they probably would have never expected at younger ages. The schedual they had was unbareable with such work and early times to start things. Just to be honest I myself would have never made it alone in that program but with Acomplentses it would make hard work doable.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Deanna Richmond(10-B)January 7, 2010 at 4:14 AM

    The curriculum that the guys had to attend to was a strict and meaningless.They had to sleep in a ten.They had to work at eight till five.They also had to attend to a torturing session after they were done,and they were also studying until nine.I wouldn't do the session because i wouldn't have enough time to sleep or eat.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The program at Seton Hall was quite demanding. The cirricuulm was very strict. They had classes from eight in the morning until five in the afternoon.The boys would also have to study with their doors open. Thats a tight budget. How do they have time for themselves if they had to be in bed by ten. I dont think i would be able to handle a schedule like that. It would take me time to adjust to it. Thats if i can adjust to it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I believe that the program that the boys went through was hard because they were told how long and when to study, it would have been too demanding for me so i don't think i would have been able to deal with it. Another thing is the cerfew of 10 pm. as a teen i don't like cerfews so that would be hard to endure as well.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Milena Greenfield 10BJanuary 7, 2010 at 4:48 AM

    This program was pretty hard on the boys for a number of reasons. They were constantly watched, they had a specific bed time, they were buried beneath homework and studying, and they had room checks. This program might have seemed hard, but in fact it was probrably this that got them to where they are now. All the hard work payed off in the end for them. I bet now they are thankful they they were pushed so hard. Now, do I think I would've survived? Well it depends. If I had the motivation that they had then I could've made it. If there was nothing in my life that would make me want to strive for it then I probrably would've gave up.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I agree with Smily H. that the summer program at Stanton Hall is very rigorous for numerous reasons. For one thing the very beginig of the day is changling due to the fact of rising up around seven oclock to make it to school by eight. Secondly the classes werent definetly easy probaly the most changling part of the program. Lastly, The Professsor's didn't let there student's get off on slackinng and absolutely couldn't lack a hard working attitude. I do belive I wouldv'e survived Stanton Hall exspecailly with hard work and dedication, because to me Stanton Hall is just like another Prep Carter in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The program demanded the boys to wake at a certain time and gave them a curfew. The boys had to work hard, become more responsible, and put in their best efforts everyday. They also had to be kept watched by their counselors when studying. Overall, it was a controlling evironment and the boys were pushed away from their comfort zone. I would be able to survive this program. When something is demanding of my efforts, I am determine to prove myself that I can achieve it.

    ReplyDelete
  33. The summer program that the boys took at Seton Hall might seem to be too much, but i believe it is for their own good. Its a scheduled lifestyle, and in my opinion, it is how it should be if they want to pursue their dreams. They kind of got a taste of what college is like by having to be up at a certain time and all the extra studying that they normally wouldn't do. The professor's didn't let them get away with anything, and they had required tutoring after their long school day, ending at 5 P.M. I think if there's a time in my life that I wouldn't have to deal with the stress of everyone else and i was only concerned with myself, i would be able to survive the Summer Program at Seton Hall.

    ReplyDelete
  34. The summer program at Seton Hall was very strict. George, Rameck, and Sam barely had any free time. All throughout the day wThey would do schoolwork and study. The boys would start at eight in the morning and end at five in the afternoon. Then, they would attend mandatory tutoring. Lastly, they would study right before going to bed. So the program was pretty rigorous.

    ReplyDelete
  35. The program the boys took part in demanded that they wake at seven A.M. and attend eight A.M. classes. After their classes end at five P.M. all students were required to take part in an hour-long tutoring session. They have a short break for dinner at six P.M. After dinner, they are sent to their rooms to study until nine P.M. The students also have a compulsory ten P.M. bedtime.

    ReplyDelete
  36. The summer program that Sam,George,Rameck was hard because the had to wake up at 7 o'clock and after there classes they had to go to study hall for three hours after that,so they would not got back the there dorms intill 8 o'clock.They also had a bed time of ten o'clock.I think that I cloud'nt handle the summer program at Seton hall because that had a whole lot of work to do and i think that i would have got overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  37. The summer programthe boys attend is very much rigorous. For one, the have to wake up 7 A.M and attend class by 8 A.M. They get out of class at 5 P.M and it is maditory for them to attend tutoring everyday after school. They have to study until 9 P.M! Also, their bedtime is extra early! It's 10 P.M. They have like no free time for themselves. I would NEVER be able to last in that program. For one, I hate being told what to do, how to do it, and that I'm doing something wrong because it's my way. I wouldnt be able to be supervised 24/7. I would go insane. I like to do things my way, its easier. Also, that would be my summer, a time away from stress. I would probably be so stressed out in that place.

    ReplyDelete
  38. The summer program at Seton Hall was pretty intense. They wanted them to get up each morning at 7 A.M. for breakfest then go to the lecture halls for 8 A.M classes, the classes would end at 5 p.m. then go to tutoring a mandatory one at that, then they would go to dinner at 6 p.m. Then the would head back to their rooms and study til 9p.m they mandatory bedtime at 10 p.m. I don't think i would have survived because they couldn't even watch t.v. and I can't live without that. Also I dont go to bed until at least 12:30, but after the all that hard work I'd probably would.

    ReplyDelete
  39. The summer program the boys attend before their freshmen year at Seton Hall was a strict program. They had to follow a specific schedule. For example, the people running Seton Hall wanted their students to get up at 7 A.M. for breakfast, be at the lecture halls by 8 A.M., and the classes would end at 5 P.M. They also had to attend a mandatory tutoring session and then they would be able to have dinner at 6 P.M. the students would have to be in their rooms by 9 P.M. so they could study and then go to sleep at 10:00 P.M the latest, as well. I probably would not survive at Seton Hall, because i cannot follow a type of schedule like that.

    ReplyDelete
  40. The summer program they go to is very hard.Like, i think they're wat too demanding with the bedtime and all the work and stuff.I don't think i would have survived because im quite lazy and i dont ever go to bed early.That program would stress me out so much.

    ReplyDelete
  41. The summer program the boys attended at Seton Hall freshman year was very strict and hard. They are really strict with the bedtime. School ended 5pm and you had to attend tutoring. I would be able to survive because I am a very strong person.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I think the summer program was very strict and maybe hard. They had to follow a certain schedule. They had to be in bed a certain time and study and all this extra stuff. But being hard on them maybe is whats best.I probably would've made it but would've been irritated in the beggining and then got use to everything.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Bria Bcannon Canady 10C(criminals)January 8, 2010 at 11:27 AM

    The summer program that the boys had to attend was very hard for nuerous amounts of reasons. For Instance, the boys had to wake up at a certain time, once school ended they had to go to a hour tutoring session, and they also had to keep thier dorm rooms open so they could be monitored. As long as I stayed focused on the task at hand i would have been able to survive. Think about it I would only be there for one thing and that would be to better myslef and get receive the best possible education.

    ReplyDelete
  44. khadijah dunmeyer 10CJanuary 8, 2010 at 12:09 PM

    The summer program that the boys had attended was very time consuming. It required a lot of studying and a lot of hard work, but it was a very big help to them in the long run. I believe I would have been able to survive because I always strive to do my hardest and I press on to do the best that I can to the best of my abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  45. The summer program the boys attended was very strict. It was a program that had a tight schedule for things I would not enjoy. After one thing they had to do another for the whole day. The boys didn't have any freedom at all. They didn't do anything accept follow the schedule everyday which must have been boring, but in the end I guess they benefited from it.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Jeevan Jaganath 10EJanuary 9, 2010 at 2:12 PM

    The program is very difficult to keep up with. It had many hard and mandatory requirements. The rules are in order like a schedule. First the boys had to be up by 7AM and have breakfast. Then the have classes for the day. After the classes are done they had to attend a tutoring session.They have a break after dinner and had to study until they had to go to bed at 10PM. I think i can keep up with this program because my schedule is very similarly to the summer program's rules. I get up at 5AM and get ready for school,also i attend tutoring for school every week for Geometry and English, and go to bed at a specific time just like the summer program.

    ReplyDelete
  47. The summer program they attended to at Seton Hall seems hard. They have extra hours then we do. They also have to go tutoring because it is mandatory for their school. I think I would not survive this program because you will have to study a lot. You also don’t get enough of sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  48. The summer progaram was very hard. There was many manditory things they had to do like wake up at seven and go to tutoring. If i was in this program i would die. io can't wake up for anything.

    ReplyDelete