Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Response Question- SECTION 4- pages 141-194

Describe how the lure of the rap world entices Rameck and George. What decision would you have made?

40 comments:

  1. Jessica Bernard 10DJanuary 5, 2010 at 4:46 PM

    It interrupted there education. They skipped classes and was putting there dreams of becoming doctors on the line. At first it was tempting but it wasn't worth it, all they have been through to get to where they were. Plus, it's no promising a succesful future as a rapper. I would have finished college and probably did rapping on the side. College would bring out greater opportunities and I can always try rapping again after I was done with school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alana levonchuck 10DJanuary 5, 2010 at 7:28 PM

    When they start raping and form a group they no they have wat it takes to make it, but it also starts to take up alot of there time, and i dont think it would have been worth it when they had been working so hard to become sucessful docters. I would have probly made the same decision as them and stayed in school because i know if i stay in school i will have a set future. Unlike the raping music industry which dosent always gaurantee success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Alana .When they were rapping it did take up alot of there time and like she said it aint a garentee thing like you hhave to work real hard and just hope you make it . I think i would have stayed with the rapping though because i like to take chances and school will always be there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lure of the rap world enticed Rameck and George by interrupting their schoolwork. Even though they almost became famous just from playing a silly game and making up songs that rhyme with eachother, it was definitely not worth it. George and Rameck were lucky to decide that they should quit their rapping career because they still have that pact and their goal is not accomplished yet. Rameck and George were even luckier because a couple of months or years later, they heard that many rappers were murdered because of something that they did wrong in their songs, which could've been George and Rameck. My decision would've been no because I do not like rap or inted to rap at all. Since rapping seems offensive to me and towards people, I would forget about it and focus on my own goals. But if I did like rap, I would just keep it as a hobby, and not as a career.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lure of the rap world enticed Rameck and George by distracting them from their Goal to finish college as doctors. They were not pay more attention to their work in school anymore and they even sometimes skipped. I think that they were headed to disepointing life or life style by rapping because most raper had little chance of becoming sucessful. If I was in their shoes I would have continue raping but wouldn’t taken it serious as they did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lure of the rap world enticed Rameck and George by distracting them from their Goal to finish college as doctors. They were not pay more attention to their work in school anymore and they even sometimes skipped. I think that they were headed to disappointing life or life style by rapping because most rapper had little chance of becoming successful. If I was in their shoes I would have continue raping but wouldn’t taken it serious as they did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. George and Rameck, according to the book, were serious about being rappers one day and asked Sam to be their manager. This event basically started when they were having fun trying to make up clever lyrics while they turned on some music. They really loved the feeling of being important when they had a gig to rap to their own songs in a random hip-hop club. Some famous rappers were murdered such as Tupac and Biggie probably because of their offensive music. Eventually, George honestly told Rameck how he felt about trying to be famous rappers when Rameck said, "Yo, man, we can really do this, let's just do it. Let's go and be rappers." George didn't want to drop medical school to risk being rappers. Ironically, Rameck said, "You know what, man? You're right." I would have made the same decisions as George. Even if i loved to rap, I would try to finish medical school first because the chances of succeeding as rappers is very risky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katelyn Mascuilli 10EJanuary 12, 2010 at 4:37 PM

    The boys rapping started of just being fun. When they got serious about it, they wanted to pursue being rappers. Unfortunately, this was distracting them from their school work. I wouldn't of made that same decision because it's very risky. It takes time to become rappers/singers. It's hard work. I would of finished school first and maybe pursued it in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katelyn Mascuilli 10EJanuary 12, 2010 at 4:48 PM

    Also, Rameck was willing to put everything on the line and skip medical school. That's definitely not a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When they were rapping it took up most of their time. It started just being fun. During the course of their rapping, they wanted to become rappers and leave med. school. if they wanted to become rappers they would have to put school out of the picture. So they put everything on the line. If I was going to med. school and there was a chance to become a rapper for me I would not take it. Yes, it would be lots of fun but going to med. school could be too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The lure of the rap world enticed George and Rameck through its clever rhyming and quick beats. However, the rap world pulled George and Rameck away from their school work and even got them to skip school once. Unlike trying your best, finishing school, then pursuing your dream as a dentist or doctor, a career in the rapping industry is not guaranteed. Unfortunately, “with rap, it really came down to luck,” (3rd paragraph on Page 150). No matter how many times a rapper goes into a studio, or how good their songs are, it wasn’t guaranteed that their records would sell. In addition to that, many rappers were murdered because of the violent and offensive material in the songs. If I were the, I would personally keep rapping as a hobby because succeeding as a rapper is very risky, and rapping is just clever rhyming that you should do with your spare time. Plus, succeeding in school is guaranteed providing that you put time into your books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When the George and Rameck started rapping is was really just for fun. The rapping then took up most of there time. While they were rapping they were not thinking about medical school. They started not to pay attention in school but just to rapping. They either had to do one or the other. I would have stayed going to college because it is always a better opportunity to learn more in life the smarter way. I would of just kept rapping for something fun to do when I am not doing anything.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The rapping idea would of been good for George and Rameck if they just did it as a hobbie but they wanted to leave medical school just to do it full time was a bad choice luckily both of them had the sense to stay in school to become doctors. I would have made the same decision as them but school is more important than just chasing a dream to become a full time rapper i would have kept rapping as a fun part time thing not something that required full attention.

    ReplyDelete
  14. George and Rameck really enjoyed rapping to the point where they figured it would be the Easy way to money and success.i don't think that would have been a really good career choice because it is a 50/50 chance that they would succeed.choosing the pact they made together was a better idea because you are always almost guaranteed something you work and strive for as a life goal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. George and Rameck was in love with rap music because it was best genre of that time. They spent money to go into recording studio (Sam paid $500 for them and was like a manager that time.) They had a chance to become famous rappers but they talked about the chances. They did not want to become rappers in the end because of the two rappers that died, Biggie Smalls and 2 pac, and they talked about becoming doctors which is better because there is a chance that you could be a dead rapper or poor rapper.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Caroleena Albaroki 10EJanuary 13, 2010 at 5:01 PM

    People say go after what you love when deciding your career, however in George and Rameck's decision it's hard to decide. George and Rameck were thinking about rapping as a career. They were about to give up all of their hard work and turn to rapping. First their hobby turned serious and they were going to have sam to be their manger.It's better to go with medical careers. This is because when going for a rapping career, they could stay stressed out about not knowing what their career would lead up to. However, I think it's good that they just
    stayed rapping as a hobby. If I were in their position I would have stayed in medical school.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rapping really threw both of them off guard. They were distracted from their school work as well. If I were them, I would have just focused on school first and received a good education, instead of POSSIBLY becoming a rapper!

    ReplyDelete
  18. When George and Rameck rapped they did it for fun. But, at the same time it kept them distracted from their school work and activities. They saw rapping as their career when they become adults.Also, they considered having Sam as their rap manager. I personally want to become a doctor or surgeon when i get a job when I'm an adult. I dont think rapping is a good hobby in my opinion. I see the being a doctor a good thing because there are people out there who seek help and you are the person they turn to for help. Rapping is something to do for fun but being a doctor can save somebody's life. I would persuade them to stay in medical school and become successful doctors or nurses. I would make the decision to remain in medical school.

    ReplyDelete
  19. When Rameck and George started rapping they did it for fun. They then started a band and had many opportunities to become rappers. Once they started there band they didn't concentrate on their school work. Rameck liked rapping so much that he was willing to give up everything he did in school to become a rapper but decided to stay in school. I would remain in medical school because you can become successful and if you become a rapper you dont know what might happen.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Although Rameck and George was rapping for fun, it was like they was in a whole different world. Rapping cause them to be distracted during their studies. They were even thinking of giving up their dreams to become a rapper. Rameck was so into it that he wanted to quit school and study at home. I would never give up my dreams to become a rapper.

    ReplyDelete
  21. George and Rameck in my opinion were young and really didn't know what was really out there for them. When they did the rapping they were just being like any other teenage boys having fun and when you are doing that you dont see anything wrong with the picture ,plus they really did not have too many role models in their lives.And I probably would have did the same but came to my senses soon or later.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I personally think that becoming rappers was a bad idea for the young men. They certaintly weren't sure but were thriving off of dreams and aspirations to get them by. They made the right decision by staying involved with their school work and activities. It would have been a total mess if their careers had not turned out as planned and they would had already put their college life behinf them. They are smart, strong, loyal, and talented young men whose talent needed to be use in more important career fields than rapping. All of the boys were doing very well and to throw it all away for a few rhymes would have been very idiotic of them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The rap world lured Rameck and George in because they thought it would be easy, fast cash. Medical school was a lot of work and it was expensive. If I were in their shoes, I would have made the same decision to continue with my education. The music world is too unsteady, one moment you're at the top of your game and the next moment you're not.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The lure of the rap world enticed Rameck and George because they said that it was a fun, as well as an easy way to get money quickly. Although just fun and games at first, the rapping world eventually attracted Rameck and George away from their school work and skipped classes. It was to the point where they began thinking about quiting medical school and being full-time rappers. And as many know, the music industry is about very much about luck. Today, their music could be popular, tomorrow, the worst. Just as George said, "One day they're big and ot with the bigest studio, and the next day, they're not," (5th paragraph on page 150). Although I rap [positive ones!] myself and practice. Personally, I would never leave education for the rap world. It's austerely stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  25. They loved rap growing up and liked to listen to it while studying, partying, and just to listen. I am honestly not a fan of rap but if I was I would have alot of passion for it because I love music and later try to make a career out of it, but still stay focused on school.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I agree with Olney. To Rameck and George it was just a game tat started out amongst friends, and escalated into the thought of making a career change. I believe it was the right thing to do for them to continue on with their education. Just because you like to do something does not mean you its always right for you. Trying to become rappers could have easily set them back in life and may have even caused them danger.

    ReplyDelete
  27. When Ramck and George begins to ap it starts to become similar to a job. It starts to take up all their time. They dont think it takes too much work. They seem to enjoy it and have fun with it. I think that they should have sat on the idea of becoming a rapper, and waited until more talent was produced. The idea of becoming rappers became a distraction.They stared to lose focus in school, and stared to fall behind on their school work.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The lure or rap world enticed Rameck and George because it kind of the came in the way of them pursuing their careers and completing college. They put their dreams on the line by doing that. They were skipping classes and other stuff. But, they did make a great choice by staying involved with school rather than rapping. I would have just continued completing school.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The rap world interrupted schoolwork for Rameck and George. Rameck was the most affected, a life of a famous rapper began when they had their first performance at a club. His head began to fill with fantasies that would just depend on luck. Rameck was even willing to skip medical school after he graduated from Seton Hall. Fortunately, Rameck and George made the decision the quit their career as rappers. My decision would have been no because I loathe rap music. Even if I did like rapping, having an education will bring me more opinions for a better life.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The allure of the rap world had a gripping effect on both Rameck and George. They began rapping because of its patterns and unique rhymes, as well as for the sheer fun of it. When they landed a gig in a local club as a group, their minds quickly shifted to the pursuit of a rap career, as many other young African American men had tried during this era. This dream specifically enticed Rameck the most, who was willing to give up going to Medical School after graduating in order to be a “big time rapper.” However, each man realized that this dream was taking away from their studies, and quickly steered away. I would have taken the same road, because no matter how attractive a possible dream can look, getting an education can open up more contingencies in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The lure of rap music influenced Rameck and George where it came to the point that they began to skip school to become full time rappers. They wanted to persue careers in becomming famous rappers. Because of this they started falling behind in school. I would not risk my education to do something I may not succeed. The thoughts that Rameck and George had, were fantasies and a shot for them to become famous rapper depends on luck. I think that having an education will get me farther in life than trying to become famous.

    ReplyDelete
  32. When they Rameck and George start rapping it really just started out as fun.But then when they found out they where they were good they get in a group with there friend P.S whom was s a good rapping and tried to make a CD.When they being in the group they started to skip class just for studio time and the hand out CD's.I would have just stayed in school because what the music business you never really know if you are going to get paid or not because it really depends on if your fans like your songs or not and school with school you have some thing to fall back on.

    ReplyDelete
  33. The "lure of the rap world entices Rameck and George", by it starting out just for fun with their other roommates, then they got a lil serious started putting up money, some wasn't even theirs, they were skipping classes and going to New York hand out their packages to get almost nowhere. I myself would not have pursue the rap career because like George said, "with rap, it really came down to luck." I wouldn't be willing to take that risk either.

    ReplyDelete
  34. When George and Rameck starting rapping it was just for fun with their roommates. They thought this rapping thing would get them somewhere, they started to give money that they knew they shouldn't have given. They would skip classes to go to the studio and hand out CD's. I would have stayed in school and left the rapping just for fun, and if I seen myself perusing the rapping career then I would have been more interested. But today it's not what you know, it's who you know.

    ReplyDelete
  35. When the guys started rapping it became a real big distraction for them. It pulled them away from the reality of where they were and what their real goal was (to become doctors). They became more caught up with the fantasy of becoming true rappers than staying focussed with school. As a person who raps, i write on a pretty regular basis but i never put my lyrics before my main priorties such as school. I think if you want to be serious about your music and school you have to know when a good time is to write and do other things with your tracks. I never write unless I know I have the time to burn. Another mistake the guys made was that they started to get serious about rapping at the wrong time. They started at the part of their lives where they had way more to focus on and way more at stake as well as way thinner chances of becoming rappers than doctors.

    ReplyDelete
  36. The lure of the rap world enticed Rameck and George by interrupting their schoolwork and kind of put their promise on the line. They actually decided to skip classes for it. By doing that, they put their both their promise and dreams on the line. Rameck was lucky to have George put some sense into him when he decided to pursue his rapping career and George telling him that it is a risky career. As for me, I would have stick to my promise instead of pursuing a career that is too risky and could ruin the hard work I have done so far.

    ReplyDelete
  37. When George and Rameck started rapping they started to take it serious, it first started out as just messing around and fun but then they started to really get into it. They got so into that they were starting to lose focus and it was affecting how they performed in school. They shouldnt have gotten this focussed with rapping because it took away from their performance in class and they were getting their priotites mixed up.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I would have decided to stay in school, because know a days education is everything. Its only so far you can make it being a rapper. And being a rapper isn't always guaranteed one day you can be in the next your out. But if you have a good education you will always have something to fall back on. I believe they should have finished school and then if they still felt like they wanted to rap then they could have done that.

    ReplyDelete
  39. The lure of rap came in the way of what they really wanted in life. They let this rap thing change the things they were doin before. They started skipping school to give out their cd's and to meet people who woudnt most likely call them back. They started spending hard saved money just for a chance that wasnt guaranteed to happen. If I was them I wouldnt have let rap get in the way of my education and dreams. I would have finished what I started, so I could get where I wanted to be.

    ReplyDelete
  40. George and Rameck, according to the book, were serious about being rappers one day and asked Sam to be their manager. This event basically started when they were having fun trying to make up clever lyrics while they turned on some music. They really loved the feeling of being important when they had a gig to rap to their own songs in a random hip-hop club. Some famous rappers were murdered such as Tupac and Biggie probably because of their offensive music. Eventually, George honestly told Rameck how he felt about trying to be famous rappers when Rameck said, "Yo, man, we can really do this, let's just do it. Let's go and be rappers." George didn't want to drop medical school to risk being rappers.

    ReplyDelete